Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Indian Food and Grocery, Irving TX

It's been sometime since I posted.  Sorry for my delay, as my offline life has been busy.  My latest Biryani experience has been from Indian Food and Grocery in Irving, TX.  It's actually next to Hot N Spicy from my last  posting, actually in the same complex!  Indian Food and Grocery is a small grocery/cafe situated off O'Connor and 183 in Irving, TX.  It's a family owned store that's been in town for over 10 years.  The folks  who own it come from Bangladesh.  The grocery store part, has some basic items and is not very extensive.  It's seems that the main attraction is the cafe restaurant portion.  The have your standard South Asian selections ranging from Samosas to all the normal entrees you'd find at a small Indo-Pak type place.  Kabob rolls, stuffed meat pastries, grilled meats, heavy oiled curries, etc.  Of course as you all know I am only interested in the Biryani.  I went ahead and ordered the Chicken Biryani.  I arrived there around 11ish just before busy lunch, in hopes to get a fresh batch of Biryani.  He said the Goat was not ready but the chicken was.  This made me assume that his biryanis are of the pakki kind.  This is where the meats and the rice are prepared separately rather than together.



The first thing I noticed was that I got a lot of biryani.  It was like a mountain of rice!  Though it was more than I could eat in one sitting, the presentation was nice.  Nice color with fresh caramelized onions and cilantro as a garnish, good aroma of spices, warm steam coming off the top to tell me it was fresh, gave me a good first impression.  As I took my first bites, the rice was fresh and hot and full of flavor...a good start.  It was still a little on the moist side but understandably so since it was fresh from the pot.  The rice could have been a little fluffier and less moist.  It's a tough call but I am going to give it a 3 out of 5.

I was very happy with the amount of chicken that was hiding under all that rice.  I had to count at least 4 to 5 pieces of chicken.  Couple of drumsticks, couple of thighs and a white meat portion as well.  This was definitely something that could have been shared.  The chicken was moist and juicy.  Since it had just been prepared, the flavors were all very rich and aromatic.  As well it as a little on the spicy side, which I prefer.  The masala the chicken was cooked with complimented the biryani rice nicely.  Due to the healthy amount of chicken I pretty much was able to eat a bite of chicken with every spoon of rice which made the overall experience much more enjoyable.

white meat portion

The chicken was tender with more than enough portions and well cooked. After trying the chicken biryani, I am looking forward to coming back to try the goat biryani as well.  I would rate the chicken 4 out of 5.  I ended up only being able to put down about half of the order.  I had to take the rest back and had it the next day for lunch.  I have to say even after a day old, it was still tasty with a lot of flavor.

I am going to give an overall rating of Indian Food and Grocery's Chicken Biryani a 3.5 out of 5.  I would come back and eat here again.  It's a good solid slightly above average Biryani.  It would be interesting to see how it would be later in the afternoon.  I will most surely be coming back to try the goat biryani as well.

I know this was a short one since I only had one type of Biryani to sample.  Keep your comments coming.  I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your opinions on the same places as well as new recommendations.  'Til next time.  -Seeker







2 comments:

  1. What is the phone number of the place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for the attempts you've obtained created in writing this report. I am hoping the same best operate from you inside the likely also. In fact your inventive creating expertise has impressed me to commence my personal Website Engine weblog now.custom jewelry designs, Nebraska
    diamond rings in Dakota County

    ReplyDelete